Tuesday, November 9, 2010

November 9, 2010

SOMETIMES I WISH THAT SOME OF THE TECHNOLOGY THAT WE HAVE TODAY WAS AVAILABLE WHEN I WAS A CHILD...

  • My son is in first grade.  He brough home a project where he has to make a poster about himself.  What he likes, what he does not like, what he wants to be when he grows up, that sort of thing.  I can't remember doing anything like that until 5th or 6th grade, and then it was all just writing, drawing pictures, and physically cutting pictures out of magazines and gluing them in place.  Now we have digital editing, photography and the internet to get material, then to organize and print it.  Sometimes it is a headache, sometimes it can be fun...
  • Does anyone want to guess what he wants to be when he grows up?
I don't know if I am scared, or proud...

  • I must admit, however, that I feel that children today have too much to learn, too quick.  When I went through elementary (K-3, anyhow) at Central Elementary (yes, I am a prodigy of South Williamsport) we focused entirely on reading, writing and math.  We learned how to do that, and we learned how to do it well.  Now, children have to learn computer, they are learning civics and politics, and even science!  Many students who I have at the high school level can't do basic math (multiply and divide) without a calculator, and they can't write legibly or spell correctly... unless it is using electronic devices that do it for them.  While I think that it is great to learn things such as science and civics, I question if it is too much too soon, and if it would be better to reinforce the basics (actually develop them) than to innundate the students with such a large variety of items so early...  I guess that is why I am not an elementary teacher.

Quote for the day:

The most interesting information comes from children, for they tell all they know and then stop...  M. Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment